show menu

What Happens if
Things Change

  • If your contributions stop within 30 days of joining, you can request a refund of the value of your contributions (less tax). You can also request a refund of the value of your contributions (less tax) if you joined the Cheviot pension before 1 October 2015 and have less than 2 years pensionable service.
  • If you leave your employer, your new employer may already be with Cheviot or choose to join.
  • If your new employer has different pension arrangements, you can leave your pension invested with Cheviot and we will look after it until you access your benefits.
  • You can continue to make contributions to Cheviot even if your employer does not.
  • You can transfer to another pension arrangement at any time.
  • If you have benefits still with Cheviot, the value will be paid as a lump sum (subject to tax limits). Some employers provide additional life assurance benefits – check your Key Information Document.
  • As the lump sums are payable under a discretionary trust, they are not currently subject to inheritance tax and can be paid out quickly to your beneficiaries.
  • Complete an expression of wishes form to help the Trustees decide who to pay the benefits to. You can change your mind at any time by completing a new form.
  • It depends why you are absent.
  • If you are on paid maternity leave, you will need to pay contributions based on pay you are receiving and your employer will pay based on your normal pay.
  • During unpaid maternity leave, you usually stop making contributions. Your employer will pay contributions based on your normal pay whilst you are on paid maternity leave but will usually stop making contributions when you are on unpaid leave.
  • If you are not entitled to statutory maternity pay, please ask us for more information
  • If you are on paid paternity leave, you will usually pay contributions on the pay you receive and your employer will pay on the basis of your normal pay.
  • Similar rules apply for adoption and parental leave – please ask for details.
  • If you are absent for some other reason, please check with your employer.
  • Your benefits may be affected if you get divorced or if your civil partnership is dissolved.
  • Please contact us to discuss your particular situation.

The information on this page is provided in good faith but is not legal or financial advice or binding on the Trustee. The trust deed and rules will override in the event of any inconsistency.

Help for Employers

Your time is valuable and we want you to spend it on your business.

Become a Member

Pensions made easy, how to choose the right pension for you today!

Already a Member

Information about your pension for existing members

To give us feedback click here